No matter what type of basketball you prefer to watch, the NCAA Tournament has it. Here’s who to watch based on style of play.
The beauty of the NCAA Tournament is that it has something to offer for everyone.
Upsets, check. Blue-bloods, check. Great defense, check. Creative plays, check.
Whatever you are looking for, the tournament has it.
Teams win by playing their style and all teams play a little bit differently. As coaches and fans, we all have preferences on what we like to watch. Whatever your preference, there is a team in the tournament that plays that way.
It is a great time to study the most successful college teams and take away bits and pieces from the best players and coaches in the game. To make your tournament viewing experience as easy as possible, we’ve broken down a good share of the 68 teams into simple categories based on style of play metrics. Depending on your interests, now you’ll know which teams to focus on. (All stats are from www.teamrankings.com)
Enjoy the madness, everybody!
Fast Pace (Possessions per game)
Methodical Pace (Possessions per game)
St Mary’s 65.9
Virginia Tech 66.1
Kansas State 66.2
Scoring from 3-Pointers
Efficient Offense (Points per possession)
Offensive Rebound Percentage
Offensive Styles of Play
Efficient Defense (Points per possession allowed)
Defensive Rebounding Percentage
Utah State 81.7%
New Mexico State 79.2%
St. Mary’s 78.5%
MATCH-UPS OF INTEREST
- Fastest Pace: LSU vs Yale (73.9 vs 74.8)
- Potential Fastest Pace: Buffalo vs Arizona State (76.5 vs 75.3)
- Slowest Pace: Villanova vs St. Mary’s (67.5 vs 65.9)
- Contrasting Pace: Maryland vs Belmont (67.8 vs 76)
- Shooting/Defending the 3: Marquette vs Murray State
- Marquette averages 39.3% from 3
- Murray State allows teams to shoot 28.2% from 3
- Rebounding Battle: LSU vs Yale
- LSU is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country, grabbing 12.4 offensive rebounds per game which is the best in the tournament.
- Yale averages the 4th most defensive rebounds in the tournament at 28.4.
- Defensive Battle: Kansas State vs UC Irvine
- Kansas State gives up 59.2 ppg
- UC Irvine gives up 63.6 ppg
Follow #FastModelMadness on Twitter for the best coaching content and conversation during the tourney!
Latest posts by Jordan Petersen (see all)
- Final Four Preview: Auburn Combine’s Explosive Offense with Pressure Defense - April 3, 2019
- NCAA Tournament: Viewing Guide by Style of Play - March 21, 2019
- NCAA Preseason Top 25 XsOs – Teams 21-25 - November 1, 2018