The Building a Culture of Greatness series aims to help coaches bring their teams together by sharing real life examples of team culture.
Pillar 2: Enthusiasm
“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
I really love that quote by Emerson, because it’s so true! To truly appreciate what he is saying we need to uncover its full context:
Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you set out to do something, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be passionate and faithful, and you will accomplish your objective. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!
For most competitors, their passions are formed at an early age from the pure joy they experienced from playing the game. I lived this myself. As the son of a college basketball coach, I was lucky enough to grow up around the game; but never did I feel forced to play. I just remember how exciting it was to be a part of my dad’s love for basketball and the teams that he coached. My collective experiences with the sport resonated in me, developing a love that would serve to stand the test of time.
Eventually, this passion is what provides the personal motivation and drive to stay the course when the going gets tough. And if you stay in the game long enough, those times will arise if they haven’t already; but a deep love for what you are doing, and your teammates will always allow you to prevail. Fear is the main emotion that undermines confidence, but love endures all things. The questions below illustrate this very point.
- Who is someone you admire because of their passion?
2. Imagine two 60 story skyscrapers, thirty yards separate the two buildings. There’s a wooden plank 24” wide that connects the buildings:
- Would you walk across the plank for a million dollars?
- Would you do it to save a family member’s life?
- What’s the difference?
Rewrite/Memorize Pillar Quote>>>
Latest posts by Joel Hueser (see all)
- Building a Culture of Greatness – Pillar 3: Humility - March 5, 2018
- Building a Culture of Greatness – Pillar 2: Enthusiasm - February 13, 2018
- Building a Culture of Greatness – Pillar 1: Unity - January 30, 2018