For when you really need a bucket, these post up plays are designed to get easy looks from close range — but the benefits don’t end there.
Hot take alert: The post up is not dead!
It might not be the “sexy” thing to do in this era of long range three-balls, but pounding the rock down on the block is still a viable and often successful way to score points.
Beyond the obvious high percentage of the post up shot itself, other advantages come from shooting down low as well, such as:
- High chance of getting fouled, and FT Rate has been linked to wins
- Chances for offensive rebounds and put backs from close range
- Less chance of a long rebound leading to transition opportunities for the defense
- Throwing the ball into the post draws the defense for inside-out threes.
Below are just a few plays designed to get deep inside touches. There are hundreds more options for every type of offensive system. To browse every ‘post up’ set in the Playbank, go here.
Check out the slideshow to view the three featured plays this week.
Post Up Plays
1. Tennessee Volunteers – Floppy Punch
Floppy action has been around since the dawn of time, or at least since James Naismith invented basketball. We’ve all run it hundreds of times – and you know why? Because it works. The Vols run a simple STS action here that acts as a decoy to the main post up option.
2. Utah Jazz – Inverted Offense
If you’re unfamiliar with Inverted Offense, contributor Tony Miller wrote about what exactly it is and the benefits of it back in 2019. We highly recommend reading that, and finding a few ways to incorporate it into your offense, especially if you have taller guards that excel scoring and passing from the post.
3. Argentina – 41 Flare Invert Cross
This set comes from the 2019 FIBA World Cup (yes, we have a free FastDraw playbook for that), in which Argentina won the silver medal. The South American country has been a consistent winner on the global stage for decades, and has produced some great players like Manu Ginobili, Luis Scola, Andres Nocioni and Pablo Prigioni. You can find more Argentina plays here.
Join over 60,000 coaches and get our Plays of the Week emails sent to your inbox! Subscribe here.
Latest posts by FastModel Sports (see all)
- Tips On Maximizing Your COVID Season For Coaches & Programs - January 22, 2021
- Defense Debate: Which Way Do You Force Opponents? - January 13, 2021
- Playbank Recap: The Most Downloaded Drills of 2020 - January 8, 2021